[e2e] a new IRTF group on Transport Models

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Jun 10 12:31:27 PDT 2005

Anyone who is, or uses, a service provider will certainly have flows over
complex, crossing paths with multiple queues.  Haven't TCP simulation tests
taken this into account?  Can it be true they haven't?

Just a few weeks ago, a client had just such poor TCP performance through a
particular provider, and, lo & behold, it was simply small pkt loss interior
to the ISP's net, due to errors.  Then began the tedious process of proving to
Idiots.net that it was indeed their box.

Even corporate nets have a variety of crossing points with a variety of link
types & speeds, and a variety of office/site usage schedules.  All together,
these can create variable path characteristics, even within a second.
Distinguishing congestion from error becomes extremely important when, for
example, the sales team is at a large customer and accessing important
presentation data at the home office in real time.

Or maybe when your doctor is remotely monitoring your heart condition and
getting ready to do a robotic bypass as the robotic injection he just gave you
sends you drifting off...oops, TCP slowed down!
:]

Alex