[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss, and some remarks on PTE

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 13:34:16 PDT 2005

Detlef, this sounds very reasonable.  But remember, no matter whether there
are radio links of any sort in a path, or not, the behavior of present TCP is
disruptive of throughput as soon as even one packet isn't acked.  So, words
like differences from wired paths "nearly disappear" are begging the
question.  This is also why the belief: "The better compliance we have to the
basic system model used in TCP..." is bound to fail.  TCP is not a "system
model" in any complete sense, because its control is based on undecidable (to
it) events -- packet losses for unknown (to it) reasons.

This "system model" is extended as the false god of "TCP Friendliness".  All
adherence to it means is that reasonable TCP service will remain denied if
even 1% of packets are lost at a failing physical bus interface anywhere in a
path, radio links or not.  There's no reason to think that a transport design
which results in amplifying physical, not congestive, losses at light load is
a completed design.  It's not even an acceptable design, as various demanding
applications demonstrate.

Alex