[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 27 22:42:00 PDT 2005

John, if there are no goals for a design, then why choose the particular
aspects of the design?

The purpose of any transport protocol is to move data reliably and efficiently
from end to end.  That's surely a goal.  In other words, the transport layer
is designed to fulfill a commitment to the next layer above, that whatever
data that layer passes down, will get to the target's same layer, completely,
accurately and efficiently.  That's what my remark was simply meant to
affirm.  TCP, as commonly deployed, fails the last part of the commitment in
various real situations, and so is modified or not used when the goal is to
meet all parts of the commitment that any good transport must make.

Alex