[e2e] Receiving RST on a MD5 TCP connection.

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Tue Jun 28 04:55:29 PDT 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 15:52, Tapan Karwa wrote:
> I am wondering if there is any consensus on how we
> should deal with the problem mentioned in Section 4.1
> of RFC 2385.

I don't think this is a significant issue in real world deployments.
TCP MD5 is designed to prevent acceptance of unauthenticated TCP RST
message to reduce risk of (D)DOS attacks on the TCP sessions of BGP.
An adversary could send an unauthenticated RST anytime.  If that took
out BGP, such would be a much larger operational problem.

In practice, if the first (i.e. unauthenticated) RST is ignored, the
router will send another RST a bit later on (e.g. after it is rebooted
sufficiently to know which MD5 key to use) and that one WILL be
authenticated and will be accepted rather than ignored.

So it should sort itself out without any spec changes, just taking
a time period closer to the reboot-time of the router that is
rebooting rather than some small fraction of that time.  No real
harm done with the current situation at all.

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com