[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed Jun 29 11:07:30 PDT 2005

Good one Clark!  Indeed FDDI and other fiber rings have dual interfaces &
fibers and anything can happen in any part of the hardware.  The assumptions
about the physical layer that have been made in most TCP discussions simply
evidence lack of understanding of the reality and complexity of underlying
layers.  This lack extends to the length of time the defects last and go
undiscovered, while folks struggle with peformance issues.

It would have been interesting if your tech had disconnected one half of one
interface and made the ring wrap!

Alex