[e2e] Reacting to corruption based loss

Cottrell, Les cottrell at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:37:01 PDT 2005

Yes I am a lurker.

Within the developed world, (US, Canada, Europe, Japan, Korea) losses today are usually << 1% on the networks connecting academic and research institutions. However, there are considerables losses seen to and within developing regions.  See for example slides 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 of http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/scs/net/talk05/i2-members-may05.ppt. For more details see the Jan 2005 Report of the ICFA/SCIC Monitoring Working Group at http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/icfa/icfa-net-paper-jan05/

Note this data only refers to losses using ping, it does not address whether the packets are lost to congestion or BER or whatever.