[e2e] TCP losses

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Tue Mar 1 05:19:27 PST 2005

Fred Baker wrote:
> At 10:54 AM 02/28/05 +0100, Sireen Habib Malik wrote:
>
>> How long does TCP take to decide that its connection has gone to the
>> dogs and that the Application must do something about it? RFC1122
>> (section 4.2.3.5) talks about "atleast" 100seconds. Is this applied
>> practically?
>
> By some, yes, and often not. Practically, a routing outage lasting for
> tens of seconds often results in TCP sessions failing. I'm not sure I
> would peg it to 100 seconds nowadays, but some do seem a little brittle.

FYI, we have a draft in the TCPM working group that lets TCP choose
per-connection timeouts in addition to the system wide default, with the
idea that you'd use longer timeouts for "important" connections.

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-eggert-gont-tcpm-tcp-uto-option-01.txt

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories