[e2e] using TCP features in the design of routers

Baker Fred fred at cisco.com
Thu Mar 3 08:01:17 PST 2005

The most important point you have missed, really, is that TCP operates
a level above that of a network layer router. For various purposes they
will look into the TCP header on occasion when configured to, but that
is usually to disallow a certain application (identified by port number
pair) or some such. And if IPsec is in use, the TCP datastream is
encrypted and therefore invisible to the router.

What we have in fact used the kind of thing you discuss for
commercially is to separate TCP (or UDP) sessions into separate
interface queues and therefore apportion interface bandwidth among
them. Attempting to apportion other router facilities in that way leads
in the direction of a lot of work for little gain; once you have
identified the TCP session for such purposes, you know enough to
forward it, and may as well get it on its way.