[e2e] TCP spoofing in overlay networks

Jonathan Shapiro jshapiro at cse.msu.edu
Thu Mar 3 09:29:35 PST 2005

Joe Touch wrote:

> TCP 'spoofing' of this sort is basically what TCP Splicing does; there
> are numerous problems with this - notably that it breaks the E2E utility
> of TCP (getting an ACK doesn't mean the other end got the data!), as
> well as challenges when the window sizes of the two TCPs differ.

I hope I am not rehashing an old debate on this list, but did the
breaking of E2E semantics and mismatched window sizes prevent the
deployment of spoofing/splicing for satellite links? (I'm genuinely
curious, having only been recently exposed to this work.) If these were
not considered insurmountable problems in that context, why should they
be insurmountable for overlay networks?

> As to whether this is an overlay or not, I don't see how 'overlay'
> related. You're just spoofing a TCP connection; overlays (IMO) are
> defined by tunnels. There's no tunnel here (unless you're saying you're
> tunneling over TCP, which is a bad idea for numerous other reasons).

I guess I have a more inclusive definition of 'overlay' in mind. I would
define an overlay network is a graph whose vertices are a set of
end-hosts and whose edges are a subset (not nec. a proper subset) of the
edges in the complete graph connecting those end-hosts, and represent
paths in the underlying network. Whether communication along those paths
is multiplexed over tunnels or separated into transport-layer
connections would be a choice for the designer---with non-trivial
consequences.  Maybe this is abuse of terminology, but the above
definition seems to be shared by some. My question was, as you point
out, about forming overlays without tunnels. The reason to consider this
an overlay network is that if one has multiple choices of relays, then
one is faced with a routing problem in addition to a session-splicing
problem.

/jonathan