[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 4 12:36:57 PST 2005

Having consulted with folks doing products for tracking/controlling these
kinds of traffic, any P2P system that takes whatever it can isn't really to
blame.  Even VoIP is being used to transfer data (not just voice) now.  Any
'internet' that can't manage its congestion at the network layer isn't an
internetwork.  So, apart from all the other Internet mistakes, like
insecurity, which many of us earn $ from, we've also earned from misdesigned
congestion control.  The difference between old-fashioned PSTNs and the
Internet are making the latter look more silly and wasteful day by day.
Despite the $, I hope some awakening occurs, but we, the taxpayers, will again
have to pay for any eventual, engineered and real internetwork.

Alex