[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Sun Mar 6 08:03:14 PST 2005

On Mar 5, 2005, at 17:47, Randy Bush wrote:
> indeed.  from japan, where unrestricted 100mb to the home or
> office is U$D20-40 per month, things look a bit differently.
> though end-users are still inbound biased, there is a variety
> of services being offered from the edge, and the domestic
> distribution is geographically wide.  cho et alia have a good
> measurement paper in press which offers a serious look at the
> results from the view of the networks of the significant isps.

A key difference is that the majority of metro network deployments in
Japan
(and also Korea or Sweden, for that matter) are built out of Ethernet,
which offers symmetric bandwidth and does not have physics problems with
the upstream.  As near as I can tell, the metro networks in Japan
generally
are over-provisioned in the core and fully provisioned with capacity to
the edge.

My comment which Randy quotes above was intended to be narrowly focused
on *cable modems*, where there is a physics problem with the shared
upstream bandwidth.  Even @Home Japan (which still exists) has an
upstream
rate-limit on their cable-modem offering for this reason.

Apologies for being unclear.

Ran