[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 6 12:04:09 PST 2005

On Mar 6, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Cottrell, Les wrote:

> Great question. Though only a small sample, we also have made
> measurements to about DSL/ISDN/Cable 10 routers (5 ISPs) in homes in
> the SF Bay Area for several years now. We have data going back to Jan
> 1988.  The median losses have dropped from about 3% to about 0.02%,
> see
> http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/icfa/icfa-net-paper-jan05/
> broadband.jpg

We've also seen this kind of reduction on the RON testbed (1/3
academic, with a few cable modems and DSL lines).  I haven't peeked at
the latest numbers, but we saw the average packet loss rate drop from
0.74% in 2001 to 0.42% in 2003, and my recollection of the more recent
numbers is that things had improved a bit more.  Our numbers are fairly
consistent with what Les's broadband graph shows, though there's noise
in all of the measurements.

(stats taken from an IMC 2003 paper,
  "Best-Path vs. Multi-Path Overlay Routing," by Andersen, Snoeren, and
Balakrishnan.
  http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/index.php?detail=126 )

Oh - and in. re: the later note about fairness and games, it strikes me
that these days, home users mostly have themselves to hurt by being
"unfair," since in the majority of situations, their own link is the
bottleneck.  That's obviously not always true (overloaded servers,
cable plants that depend on TCP fairness, if they do, or just
overloaded ISPs), but for the most part, if you hack your TCP, you're
just changing the ways your own bandwidth is allocated between your
flows.  _for home users._

   -Dave