[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 00:24:27 PST 2005

Alex is right -email and ftp pre-date ip/tcp and the ietf;
www was done by some mad english bloke (sir tim berners-lee) with no
due respect to all the authorities about how a global hypermedia system should be done;
and he didnt predict google afaik.  p2p is similar...
A nice feature of the internet is the ease with which it _lets_ random people innovate;
just before www took off, there was an amazing plethora of tools
remember archie or gopher or wais) -
Something will crystalize out of p2p (actually is starting to) that will just be
how we do stuff - 10 years from now (less) people will think this discussion is weird...
justr as george michaelson implied about the turnaround on WWW that lotsa central IT services had
to go thru...

e.g. if someone can figure out the drm, itunes would work way faster with p2p.
no - seriously: if we wanted to propagate virus and worm protection faster than worms,
(e.g. security upgrade/patches) and can figure out the code signing etc,
we could do worse than looking at p2p;

And i really like skype - the kazaa people really _got it_ - voip is not necessarily about free audio, but it is
about new features .... (see henning schulzrinne's web pages for some very good debates about what its all readlly
for)

In missive <422D2A97.2050706 at dirtcheapemail.com>, Clark Gaylord typed:

 >>Cannara wrote:
 >>
 >>>You mean the IETF & other bureaucracies didn't invent the most used apps on
 >>>the Inet?!  :]
 >>>

 >>They just didn't invent the most used content. :-)
 >>
 >>--ckg

 cheers

   jon