[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Syed Faisal Hasan rony3000us at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 15:55:45 PST 2005

Hello,

Perhaps we may focus our discussion on the following lines from Emmanuel's
mail:

"IMHO, I think that applications like Skype should be responsible for
managing the congestion they could potentially cause. This brings me
to my question. If more and more applications start to behave like
Skype and selfishly worry more about their business model than about
the health of the global Internet, is there still a possibility of a
congestion collapse today ? Or, are those worries well behind because
the problem can be compensated by introducing more bandwidth into the
network "

I 'ld like to add the following:

" If congestion collapse and/or having fair share of bandwidth is not an
issue then what 's
the purpose of carrying out research on TFRC ? Is  there any possibility of
global deployment
of TFRC based on RTP ? what is the chance of DCCP replacing UDP in some
applications?
What should be the research direction for people who want to do research in
this area?"

Faisal