[e2e] Skype and congestion collapse.

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 11 17:15:08 PST 2005

Exactly the right question, Clark.  But I'll differ with you on the blanket
plaudits to Inet or TCP design.  We all know the design of the network layer
was inadequate and knew that years in advance of address inadequacy.  Doing
"just enough" isn't something that can be foreseen either -- how do you know
it's "just" enough?

On the PSTN, which has such a clean record for access control, sharing,
reliability, etc. (and was the physical basis for the Internet) the Inet comes
not even close, for the very reason you mention "just enough".

So, yes, when will the Inet be properly engineered so kludges like a transport
doing what the network should do are gone?  Of course, I and other consultants
can't complain -- just got paid a couple hundred an hour today to tell someone
that NAT boxes don't always let FTP PORT commands through poroperly!  Hmmm,
now why did we need NAT?  Oh yes, "just enough" (for 1980 :).

Alex