[e2e] TFRC vs UDP

Dado Colussi gdc at iki.fi
Thu Mar 31 05:03:43 PST 2005

Syed Faisal Hasan wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> TFRC was designed for use by the Continuous Media (CM) applications. But
> why will a CM application which is performing well using UDP, use TFRC
> if there is performance gap (more latency, less number of packets
> transmitted in the same time, high rate fluctuations in the beginning)
> betwen UDP and TFRC ? May be thats the reason we haven't seen any
> applicatons using TFRC. On the other hand there is no (I haven't found)
> research which analyzes the performance difference between UDP and TFRC.
> It is clear that TFRC will not perform exactly like UDP ( due to TFRC's
> friendliness with TCP), but how much can we expect from TFRC?

Hi Syed,

the motivation is that although your application would work fine and you
(a single person in a society) would have a good welfare using UDP, it
is your fellow citizens that would potentially suffer from your actions.
The network resource should be distributed fairly - whatever it means.
If we all started to disregard other users, the network might stop
working properly - equivalent to anarchy in a society. Mechanisms are
needed to guarantee fair distribution of the resource. TFRC attempts to
provide mechanisms to distribute the bandwidth resource in the same way
TCP does.

I think performance issues depend more on competing TCP flows and the
network than on the TFRC control algorithm.

Cheers, Dado