[e2e] TFRC vs UDP

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Mar 31 08:43:52 PST 2005

Lots of continuous media apps use RTP, not raw UDP.   Perhaps that's
only a clarification to your question, but do note that RTP adds
overhead too (if nothing but a packet header).

In general, I think, people adopt standards because of two factors:
1) enhanced interoperability ...
2) not having to invent the wheel yet another time, when somebody has
done a "good enough" answer, and might even have started a community of
people to improve it.