[e2e] not quite the differentiated services I was thinking of

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Nov 1 23:30:19 PST 2005

--- Ping Pan <pingpan at cs.columbia.edu>wrote:

> Since when backbone QoS is designed for SPAM
> prevention? :-) If you have
> that much SPAM to contribute, the service providers
> need to disconnect
> you first. ;-)

I just mean current QoS mechanism does not help with
those application level control requirement, but only
focus on congestion alleviation. Both Diffserv and
RSVP assume there will be congestion. Unfortunately,
that's  the common fact with narrowband internet but
not  with broadband internet.To my knowledge,
congestion usually happens on interconnection links
between ISPs ( e.g. between Chinanet and Sprint). But
with differserv  I can't guarantee a VIP that his/her
access speed to any web site is faster than others.
So, I need traffic management rather than DiffServ.

To summurize :

1. Current QoS mechanism , Diffserv + CBWFQ, does not
address the critical problem faced by Internet. ISPs
need application level e2e QoS control even when they
overprovision their  network.

2. WRED does not show its value because application
characteristics changes ( robust P2P contributes to
that a lot)

3. Even with DiffServ itself, there is problem
unsolved, e.g. security, network administration,
network planning and SLA between ISPs.

4. IMHO, Internet should be with such a model,
backbone is overprovisioned with a few intelligence
(traffic engineering); more and more intelligence is
built into access layer node.

5. We have to pay more attention to security problem
and traffic identification requirement ( there is
workshop on this in Sigcomm2005 )

Jing

http://www.rnejournal.com/abstract_odlyzko_sept04.html