[e2e] Is RED dead?

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Thu Oct 13 13:38:02 PDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:22:04 -0400
"Armando L. Caro, Jr." <acaro at bbn.com> wrote:

> Who exactly is "you"? I imagine you'd have to be a fairly big customer
> to get that kind of response from a big provider. I'm sure that if *I*
> even tried to ask *my* provider to turn on RED, I wouldn't even be
> able to reach someone who understood what I was asking for.

I was just relaying what I was told so I don't have any details.

I do remember asking UUNET about their use of RED a few years back
when I had a fractional DS-3 with them.  As I recall, the folks I
talked to, who, for technical people, were probably sales engineers
at best, said they didn't support it to do overall route performance
issues when it is enabled.  This sounded similar to the reasons for
not doing any kind of filtering (e.g. anti-spoof filters), which was
plausible, but this was the first I had heard of hardware performance
issues when RED was enabled so I challenged them on it.  I seem to
recall them mentioning something about a confidential internal testing
report that they couldn't share... then quickly shoo'ed me away.  :-)

John