[e2e] Is RED dead?

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Sun Oct 16 23:32:02 PDT 2005

> > That's may be the key reason for only EF class
> > implemented in some enterprise networks. But,
> would
> > WRED act with EF class traffic ?
>
> No.  By default EF traffic will be put in a strict
> priority queue.
> At least on the gear I've seen.  Note, other
> DiffServ codepoints are
> often supported and enabled by default for some
> applications, such
> as video.

What do you mean by "DSCP are often enabled by default
for some applications, such as  video"?  Would those
routers can recognize  video traffic and set
approprate DSCP to video packets?  Considering a
network carrying IPTV and normal traffic, could that
be possible for each node to allocate/divide bandwidth
to each class on each hop while balancing requirement
between IPTV traffic and normal internet traffic?

> More specifically it seems that EF is supported and
> set by using a
> packet filter to match on what looks like voice
> traffic (e.g. ef set,
> UDP,  ports set to fit [x1-x1,y1-y2], IP src/dst)
> and everthing else
> is remarked best effort if it isn't already.
>
> > I'm not sure but to my experience I have to config
> > packet dropping policy explicity with Cat6509.
>
> In versions I've used, once you set 'mls qos'
> globally, you get the
> default queueing parameters as they are hard wired
> to the physical
> interface (modules).

do you mean WRED is enabled in those default queueing
parameters?

Jing