[e2e] Is RED dead?

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Oct 17 23:47:09 PDT 2005

> > network carrying IPTV and normal traffic, could
> that
> > be possible for each node to allocate/divide
> bandwidth
> > to each class on each hop while balancing
> requirement
> > between IPTV traffic and normal internet traffic?
>

> I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here.  If
> the question is,
> can the routers allocate capacity, queueing behavior
> or something
> else to different classes of traffic based on
> DiffServ codepoints
> found in IPTV traffic versus other best effort
> traffic, then the
> answer is yes.  If that was not your question, then
> please restate
> and I'll try again.

Because we are not sure how much bandwidth high
priority traffic needs ( number of subscriber may vary
with time), bandwidth allocation policy between
different QoS level has to be ajusted from time to
time. So, there comes a problem,  how to minimize the
cost of network management?

My question is, could those default queueing policy
adjust bandwidth allocation policy according to real
traffic requirement automatically? if not, how to
control the network management complexity when QoS &
WRED are deployed ?

thanks

Jing