[e2e] Is RED dead?

sampad mishra sampad_m at rediffmail.com
Tue Oct 18 06:04:50 PDT 2005

Hi all,
       I think RED is not dead, however some kind of inhibitions are restricting the use of it.
       Currently I'm emulating(using Linux TC) a QOS architecture(based on my prof's paper) which can provide specified minimum throughput for TCP connections with very minimal delay(& delay jitters) for realtime applications. It has no signalling reuirements and employs RED control , WRR schedulers and priority. We can differentiate different levels of traffic from DSCP bits and accordingly set the parameters. With admission control we plan to provide QOS in dynamic traffic conditions.

       I find RED to be pretty handy as it does a good job . However I have a doubt regarding RED paramter (minimum queue length). Min queue length(as specified) should be big enough to accomodate the bursts however can anyone tell me how does min Q length affect the throughput , if at all it does? Basically, I want to know, apart from accomodating bursts, what other factors should be taken into account while assigning min Q length.

Kindly enlighten me....

Regards,
sampad mishra.
ECE,IISc.