[e2e] not quite the differentiated services I was thinking of

David Oppenheimer davidopp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 09:31:05 PDT 2005

> Though, as a user, this may not be what you want, no one
> should be surprised that differentiated services as a
> way of *controlling* network usage is important to operators.
[...]
> Seems pretty reasonable
> to me that a network operator ought to be able to choose who
> gets better service and who gets worse service based on whatever
> is important (often $$$ commercially).

Rather than setting priorities on a per-application basis, I think the
more reasonable approach is to simply sell users SLAs and allow them
to use what they're buying however they wish. There are all kinds of
pricing schemes that can prevent users from "hogging the network,"
while remaining application-agnostic.

The network operators seem somehow surprised that when they sell users
(say) a 3 Mb/s network connection, some users actually use 3 Mb/s for
more than just bursts. It sounds like the companies need to align
their sales and marketing departments with the actual capacity of
their networks, rather than making value judgments about what
applications are more deserving of bandwidth than others.

David