[e2e] Internet packet size distribution

Tatsuya MORI tatsuya at nttlabs.com
Wed Oct 26 05:10:56 PDT 2005

> > > We traced the recommendations for 1300B MTU to several sources. For
> > > example VPN MTU recommendations, see our web page.
> >
> > Could this be because of IPv6 traffic being tunneled in IPv4?
> > IPv6 requires that the link layer support an MTU of at least
> > 1280 bytes.  Add 20 bytes for an IPv4 tunnel header and you
> > get 1300 bytes.
>
> The statistics of several IPv6 links have been collected by the
> researchers from MAWI WG, WIDE project.
> We can see the jump at 1300B.

It seems that the jumps measured on the v6 links are at 1280B of IP
packet length; although I don't know whether they are related to the
1300B measured on the v4 links (v6 over v4 tunneling?).

Here is an example obtained from the following v6 packet trace.
> http://tracer.csl.sony.co.jp/mawi/samplepoint-C/2005/200510250900.html

length  count
72      524317
60      410304