[e2e] number of flows per unit time in routers

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Oct 28 13:42:19 PDT 2005

Craig Partridge wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> I've spent this afternoon reading through the literature on flows and
> can't seem to find anything that tries to characterize how many flows
> actually pass through a router per second or minute or hour.

It´s perhaps more or less covered by the other comments, but I´m
particularly curious about the duration of the individual flows.

Some folks are mainly interested in long termed flows, which IMHO hardly
reflect reality. There are quite a few papers around characterizing the
length of a flow. With respect to congestion control this means, that
each time a new flow enters a path the system is about to settle.
Sometimes, I read that
the vast majority of flows does not even contain twenty TCP datagrams.
When I think of this in terms of delack, rounds etc. these flows are
hardly
to see more than, say, three "rounds" where all settling must take
place.

So, for a path with mainly short termed flows I expect a different
behaviour compared to a path with mainly long termed flows.

I think, this question is even important for the LRD guys.

Of course, everyone wants long termed flows, preferable everlasting
ones, because these are so nice to deal with :-)

Detlef

BTW: Now you see one reason for my mostly terrible long mails :-) It´s a
contribution to a well behaved Internet consisting of mainly long termed
flows :-)

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30