[e2e] not quite the differentiated services I was thinking of

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Oct 31 06:50:49 PST 2005

> > So, is there any way to introduce more
> intellegence into IP network?
[snip]
> packets. The intelligence
> is of a sense-and-respond, adaptive type that
> actually configures the
> network based on observed use, rather than requiring
> the users to ask
> permission for new uses or to declare their pattern
> of use in advance,
> which is what would be needed if the network were
> truly braindead like ATM.

Agree, no matter under IP or with IP.

> Now there is another interpretation of
> "intelligence" which is
> specializing the network for specific application
> layer functions.
[snip]
> Intelligence is needed in the network to be adaptive
> to a widely varying
> and hard to predict set of future usage scenarios
> and load mixes - but
> binding the network to a fixed set of uses, limiting
> it to the
> imagination of those who cannot conceive that
> applications like the web
> could exist (where one transaction involves dynamic
> selection of content
> from a broad set of 30-40 sites not known in advance
> to the requestor,
> as many web pages do), that's not intelligent,
> that's dumb.

To my understanding that's the cover of end-to-end
policy behind TCP/IP architecture, but the back is
those 'rubish traffic' (SPAM , virus , cracking ... )
could run easily around the world. Internet succeed
because intellegence is put at the edge, but what if
virus/terrist make use of robust p2p technology to
overcome those reactive 'firewall'.

 I don't think intellegience in network is to break
the basic policy in TCP/IP architecture.
Theoretically, intelligence in core network should
focus on adapt to traffic chacteristics and e2e QoS
requirements; at the edge, intellegence should make
internet a managable system while keeping it a low
cost and extensible platform. What confuse me a lot
is, is that possible to make those BRAS (access
router) intelligent enough to  manage traffic at
application level? if backbone is always
overprovisioned, why diffserv?

Jing

Jing