[e2e] [SPAM] - Re: not quite the differentiated services I was thinking of - Email has different SMTP TO: and MIME TO: fields in the email addresses

Alper Kamil Demir demir at kou.edu.tr
Mon Oct 31 07:00:38 PST 2005

Jing,
>in  ISP networks, QoS differentiation shows up only
>when congestion happens; DiffServ tries to solve
>bandwidth competition under congestion situation, ISP
>want to differentiate e2e QoS even when bandwidth is
>overprovisioned!
This is not true. There are non-work-conserving and work-conserving QoS schemes that does not depend on congestion. DiffServ does not only try to solve BW competition under congestion situations i.e. EF PHB-related services. Bandwidth is not the only limited resource in the network and is not the only means of service related parameter.

Current applications on the Internet are congestion-sensitive. I guess that's why overprovisioning seems enough for now.

Alper K. Demir