[e2e] Summary. Re: Retransmission Timouts revisited

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Sep 1 05:05:19 PDT 2005

I've learned some interesting thins on this matter in some offline
discussions.

In consequence, I know less then ever, but that's life....

Basically, I´ve learned that loss detection via RTO should only be the
last ressort.

Actually, loss detection should be done mostly by the observation of
ACKs, particularly SACK. Marc Allman refered rfcs 3517 and 3782.

In consequence, RTO estimators are not that important for the
performance of TCP. They must be large enough to avoid too many spurious
   timeouts. If they are a little bit too large, it's at least not
disastrous. They are only a last resort, if anything else fails.

However, I have some few questions left.

1.: I´ve read a huge number of papers concerned about spurious timeouts
in mobile wireless networks, e.g. GPRS.

What is the reason for this?

Hier kommen jetzt Delay Spikes rein. Die Frage ist, ob wir Delay Spikes
abfangen müssen und wie wir das können.

Hier kann auch PTE sehr gut helfen. Hier reichen ganz einfache
Tiefpaßfilter.

2.:
--
Detlef Bosau