[e2e] Spurious Timeouts in mobile wireless networks, was: Re: Retransmission Timouts revisited

Francesco Vacirca francesco at net.infocom.uniroma1.it
Thu Sep 1 06:58:06 PDT 2005

> The "spurious timeout" problem often claimed in mobile wireless networks
> thus should be basically a problem with extreme delay spikes.

This is correct: delay spikes that are not "seen" in the first and
second order moments of rtt distributions and that are used for the RTO
setting.

> As to my understanding, we can exclude other problems, the only problem
> with TCP in mobile wireless networks are unexpected, or unforeseeable
> respectively, delay spikes or a sudden increase of delays.

Well, packet losses are the main problem... and they should be hidden to
TCP with wireless link layer protocol and persistant retransmissions...

Spurious timeouts are a second (marginal) problem that in my opinion
(and in my research) are not frequent events in a well engineered
GPRS/UMTS network.

Francesco