[e2e] Spurious Timeouts in mobile wireless networks, was: Re: Retransmission Timouts revisited

Francesco Vacirca francesco at net.infocom.uniroma1.it
Fri Sep 2 08:54:07 PDT 2005

Filipe Abrantes wrote:

>> Well, packet losses are the main problem... and they should be hidden
>> to TCP with wireless link layer protocol and persistant
>> retransmissions...
>>

> Well, if packet loss is hidden by L2 retransmissions, then, packet loss
> would become delay, which can become spurious timeouts (depending on the
> delay increase) right? Then spurious timeouts won't be that marginal...

I'm agree with that... what I'm trying to say is that L2 retransmissions
are due to transmission errors on the wireless channel... and with all
kind of ARQ protocols (from Stop'n Wait to Selective Repeat) if you drop
packet K (because one or more PDUs belonging to that TCP-SDU reached the
max number of retransmissions N), that implies that if packet K+1
crosses the wireless channel it will arrive after the moment that K
would arrived with some more retransmissions... and this implies that if
the RTO would expire for K with infinite retransmissions, it would
expire also for K+1 with N retransmissions... with no advantages for
TCP,  but with some small disadvantages that I do not think could
influence the overall goodput.
Moreover with FRTO (or other mechanisms) TCP can recover a spurious
timeout, but a normal timeout (due to real loss) can just be recovered
by slow-start because it is a real loss with RTO expiration and there is
no possibility to distinguish it from a congestion event (without
explicit notification).

f.