[e2e] Spurious Timeouts in mobile wireless networks, was: Re: Retransmission Timouts revisited

Filipe Abrantes fla at inescporto.pt
Fri Sep 2 11:24:18 PDT 2005

Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Francesco Vacirca wrote:
>
>> I'm agree with that... what I'm trying to say is that L2
>> retransmissions are due to transmission errors on the wireless
>> channel... and with all kind of ARQ protocols (from Stop'n Wait to
>> Selective Repeat) if you drop packet K (because one or more PDUs
>> belonging to that TCP-SDU reached the max number of retransmissions
>> N), that implies that if packet K+1 crosses the wireless channel it
>> will arrive after the moment that K would arrived with some more
>> retransmissions... and this implies that if
>

> I admit: I cannot follow.
>
> Packet K is lost. Packet K+1 not. What´s the problem?
>
> And what do you mean with "K+1 .... will arrive after the moment K would
> arrived with...."?
>
> K did not arrive.
>
> So K´s arrivale time in case of ... does not matter.

Hmmmm, some misunderstanding here i beleive: packet K and K+1 arrive at
destination, (K is the seqno of TCP), however packet K has to be
retransmitted in some wireless hop in the path, due to transmission
errors. What Francesco was saying (if i understood it correctly) is that
this restransmission will lead to an increase of the rtt which will be
noted by the sender both in packet K and packet K+1 because packet K+1
goes imediatly after packet K. So if packet K time's out, then packet
K+1 will also timeout. Francesco claimed that this would have some
effect on the spurious timeout detection which i didn't quite
understood, but im also not that familiar with rto estimation procedures.

Regards,

Filipe

--
Filipe Lameiro Abrantes