[e2e] (no subject)

Fan Ye fanye at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 14 08:08:16 PDT 2005

Jon,

This is the first time I ever post on e2e list, although I've subscribed
to it several years.

I'm really astonished to see your technical discussion on ns drifting, or
"accidentally dropping",  onto some language attacking an ethnic group
(see below quoted text). You may not have the intention, but what you
wrote seems to imply that all these guys are clueless chinese students who

dont know a better way to plagiarize.

> (I have no idea where they are really from - are they using such
> addresses because they are afraid their university will catch them
> plagiarising,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> or are they blocked in china?) and they do more harm than good.
                                               ^^^^^^

I'm very, very upset to see this kind of language, not to mention at a
least expected place, a technical discussion list.

I have little clue about why these people use hotmail or yahoo address
either. My guess (from my own, limited experience 6+ years ago), is that
many schools in china simply do not provide an email address to every
student, or the habit of Internet users in china differs from here a lot,
people (including graduate students) simply use one email address for
everything, they consider this a convenience. I've got emails from such
students as well, and they asked valid, technical questions. I didnt have
the chance to check out their publication, but I would have a hard time to

believe they are just poor plagiarizers without a better means to conceal
identity.

To check the validity of your claim that these guys (at least most) are
from china, I did a quick sampling on ns-users 2005 Aug archieve.  At the
end is a sorted list of those who used yahoo addresses. Of these 31 guys,
only 4 have chinese names. I can reasonably say that nearly 90% of them
are NOT from china.

So how did you find out
1) they're plagiarizing
2) they're from china?

Fan

(=?iso-8859-1?q?Alexandre=20=FFffffc1dames=20Alves=20Pontes?=)
(=?iso-8859-1?q?Alexandre=20=FFffffc1dames=20Alves=20Pontes?=)