[e2e] Reputation systems

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Sep 16 00:47:56 PDT 2005

Just a thought.   Most countries have libel and slander laws and
suchlike, and those laws include specific precedents and means to
recover damages for harm to "reputation".   If you choose to use the
metaphoric notion of reputation for a system that blocks connectivity
among people and their agents, and even more, to embody it in a
quantifiable and economically measurable technology, you almost
certainly will entangle the system with existing precedent and law.

I've had in passing the thought of investing in a startup whose business
model will be based on litigating disputes regarding reputation
systems.   Sounds like easy money, especially  via picking the pockets
of engineers and business investors who don't think carefully through
the complex social implications of trying to enforce their preference
architectures on others.

While I have better things to do, there are lots of litigious types who
may see this as a profitable activity or one that embodies and escalates
vigilantism...

Nuance is important here - there is a legal difference between not
vouching for someone or something and vouching against someone or something.