[e2e] TCP 'fast start'

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Thu Sep 29 05:38:05 PDT 2005

Khaled Elsayed wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think all these effort to enhance TCP are great. However, it seems
> that TCP has become too old and inefficient for many cases (wireless,
> short connections, ultra-high speed, etc).
>
> Isn't it time that the research community should think about keeping TCP
> interface (sockets) but come up with a more efficient universal protocol
> or am I just too optimistic/unrealistic?

Isn't that what XCP and RCP are?

Note that it doesn't mean the work will be adopted in the real world. It
takes a lot more work to get a new protocol adapted due to the buy-in
you need to get from so many parties who will always point at someone
else as the starting point for adoption.

The trick would be designing something new from the group up but with an
upgrade path that doesn't require buy-in from everyone initially.

Baruch