[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Fahad Dogar fahad.dogar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:35:33 PDT 2006

On 4/12/06, Joe Touch <touch at isi.edu> wrote:

> Fahad Dogar wrote:
> > I understand why IP addresses (which are hierarchical in nature) are
> > needed but can't seem to appreciate the use of MAC addresses, in
> > addition to using IP addresses.
>
> That's for the level of indirection Ted was noting.
>
> > Practically I can understand that they
> > are being used for legacy purposes and a move towards using IP
> > addresses as layer 2 addresses would require changes in ethernet
> > switches etc.
>
> Another reason is that ethernet switches are  simpler to implement than
>  (IP) routers. A final one is to limit broadcast; right now, broadcast
> pervades (most) ethernet switches, but is halted by IP routers (even
> subnet-directed broadcast is defaulted that way). It's not clear how to
> allow broadcast to go more than one hop and control flooding (with
> all-1's) or defeat DOS attacks (subnet broadcast).

By using IP addresses for layer 2 routing, I am not implying the
replacement of ethernet switches with routers. The ethernet protocol
remains the same but the MAC address of every station is the same as
its IP address. So these addresses have different interpretation (and
subsequent forwarding) in a LAN compared to routing at layer 3. So we
can block broadcast at layer 3 (routers) and allow broadcost at layer
2 (ethernet switches). Again, I am asking purely from the
functionality point of view. It may not be practical to do such a
thing.