[e2e] admission control vs congestion control

Dah Ming Chiu dmchiu at ie.cuhk.edu.hk
Mon Apr 17 10:06:47 PDT 2006

Hi Lisong,

This is an interesting question!  I believe your intuition is quite right.
In fact
I had the same intuition. So the question is how do you show it is true.
This question cannot be easily answered using the currently widely accepted
models for studying congestion controls.

We have developed a methodology to compare the two traffic controls
in a heterogeneous environment (when you have both kinds of traffic).
Basically, we propose a way to compute "utility throughput" for each kind
of traffic, which can be done under a variety of "workloads".
A traffic control is "better" if it is no worse off in generating both kinds
of
utility throughput in comparison to another traffic control.
Based on this, we are able to show that admission control is more suitable
than congestion control over a wide spectrum of workloads.

We have published a couple of conference papers on this topic:
a) "Network fairness for heterogeneous applications", Sigcomm Asia Workshop
2005
b) "A Case for TCP-friendly Admission Control", to appear in IWQoS 2006
A more complete technical report summing up all the results is in
c) "Redefining Fairness in the Study of TCP-friendly Traffic Controls"

All of them are posted on my web page
    http://personal.ie.cuhk.edu.hk/~dmchiu/publications.html
An updated version of (c) will be posted in a few days if you can wait.

Regards
Dah Ming