[e2e] use of MAC addresses

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue Apr 18 09:49:09 PDT 2006

Puddinhead Wilson wrote:
> Scale up for what?
> Reachability and switching methods and end point
> identifiers are all different topics.

Reachability / Throughput.

In principle, you can interconnect all computers in the world via a flat
Ethernet. (Define a "DS-Ethernet" := Deep Sea Ethernet for
intercontinental lines if necessary.)

How large will the switching tables be?

Can we extend this until the switching tables grow beyond all limits?
And so does the processing time on routers?

How much papers did you see which take into account the processing delay
of a packet on a switch / router?

I personally did not see that many.

Routing is a wonderful topic. I´ve seen even people talking about
"GeoCast". (Totally outdated IMHO, I think the minimum should be
GalaxyCast or UniCast, which means not Unicast but Universe Cast ;-))

In my opinion, the most basic reason for IP´s success is that IP
addresses both for nodes and networks as well make addressing,
subnetting and routing outstandingly simple.

If I ever were to tell three strokes of genius which make
internetworking work, the IP addressing scheme were surely among them.

Detlef

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30