[e2e] admission control vs congestion control

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Fri Apr 21 15:23:48 PDT 2006

Fred Baker wrote:
> For the record, there are products out there that are indeed
> delivering video on IP. My company has a couple, so do many others.
Yes. I noticed your e-mail domain :-)

And I see, that there _are_ scenarios where multimedia over IP does make
sense. However, I don´t see those scenarios in "The Internet".

> You are correct that it requires steps to be taken to ensure that
> delivery is consistent.
>
> One of our ISP friends on this list commented that the right solution
> is to make sure that the problem is swamped with bandwidth. That would
> be my preferred solution as well if infinite bandwidth were available
> for free regardless of location.
And I think, it´s the general way to go e.g. for VoIP in company networks.

However, for the general Internet, when I see RSVP and QoS and all these
things, it´s not only that these apply TDM techniques to the Internet.
It´s the question how "telco like" the Internet shall be?

The more QoS we bring to the Internet the more "telco like" the Internet
will become - and the more expensive.

Detlef