[e2e] admission control vs congestion control

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Fri Apr 21 12:58:24 PDT 2006

For the record, there are products out there that are indeed
delivering video on IP. My company has a couple, so do many others.
You are correct that it requires steps to be taken to ensure that
delivery is consistent.

One of our ISP friends on this list commented that the right solution
is to make sure that the problem is swamped with bandwidth. That
would be my preferred solution as well if infinite bandwidth were
available for free regardless of location. Where cheap bandwidth is
in fact available, it is my recommendation. My observation, however,
is that many places that worry about QoS do so because bandwidth is
not cheap nor necessarily readily available (fiber to the airplane,
fiber to the ship at sea, fiber to the atoll..., fiber to the Congo),
and even in well-engineered service networks published papers say
that there are measurable service bumps that may be correlated with
competing data streams that synchronize.