[e2e] TCP ACK HeuristicII

F. Bouy frasker at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 03:34:30 PDT 2006

Hi,

I implemented a downscaled TCP NewReno with ACK heuristic based on RFC 3782.
I notice that a timeout very likely triggers subsequent timeouts. Upon
debugging the code, I notice ACK heuristic successfully avoid re-entering
fast-retransmit (the three duplicates are due to unnecessary retransmission
of three packets), but packets in flight quickly drain out because the code
handling the duplicate ACK does not inject new packets into the network.
Consequently, a timeout occurs.

Although it is common sense that one should inflate cwnd by three MSS
whenever ACK heuristic determines that it was an unnecessary
retransmissions, RFC 3782 does not state about the cwnd apart from "what not
to do".