[e2e] What if there were no well known numbers?

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Aug 3 11:25:24 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 13:36 +0000, Fergie wrote:
> -- Jon Crowcroft <Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >with IPv6, who needs ports?
> >

> Well, true that. :-)
>
> As I mentioned in an earlier missive, it doesn't really matter
> one way or the other. I'm fairly certain that the only reason(s)
> that we have them now is due to legacy, and out of convenience.
> Not necessarily in that order. :-)

Actually, if there are no well-known ports then there must presumably be
some mechanism to discover what dynamic port the app is using.

Why stop at ports then? The same mechanism can be used to discover what
IP address that app is using.
With end-to-end discovery, who needs static IP(v6) addresses?

--
Saikat