[e2e] What if there were no well known numbers?

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 4 12:46:39 PDT 2006

At 10:39 PM 8/2/2006 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:

>The concept of "well-known ports" was built for a world in which there was
>no lookup function, no DNS - in fact for a world where people typed
>addresses in octal, long before there was a naming service (even before
>the hosts file).

Well, not exactly.  It was (deliberately) built for a world in which we did
not want increased communication fragility resulting
  from DNS lookup failures.  Maybe that concern no longer seems real, but
it was the concern.

Bob Braden