[e2e] Port numbers, SRV records or...?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Aug 7 10:25:54 PDT 2006

Craig Partridge wrote:
> Yet when faced with things that are, fundamentally, collections of
> software dip switches, I note that we seem to have no nice elegant
> programming paradigm that allows us to create abstractions that hide
> these switches (rather than expose them as 1,000s of MIB variables).
> The knowledge plane was an attempt to create something intelligent
> that mediated between this miasma of data and the typical clients that
> want to know what is happening (with only selected squalid details).
> But I keep wondering if there's a better paradigm for those virtual
> dip switches.

I suspect one aspect of this is that the switches are specified, based on what
can be exposed, rather than having much idea how the information will get used.

Perhaps it would help to define usage scenarios for sets of switches.  Each
scenario becomes a possible point of aggregation.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking