[e2e] About the primitives and their value

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Aug 9 06:31:30 PDT 2006

Excellent perspective!   I think you are describing "pub-sub"
architectures and "blackboard" architectures, which are very interesting
alternatives that have been known for a long time.   It's relevant to
note that the fundamental "Ethernet" (on a single segment) is indeed a
"pub-sub" architecture of sorts - everyone sees every packet, and
patterns are set into the low-level pattern matcher to decide which
addresses are received.   Similarly, radios do low-level pattern
matching with matched filters (frequency or code or time-slot pattern
matching) on a shared blackboard.

It is at least conceptually possible to scale pub-sub architectures and
make them interoperable at the same scale as the send-receive Internet.

What worries me is that the word "attack" has been imputed to situations
where the target of the attack is perhaps just as responsible as the
source for the mishaps involved (the balance depends on context - I must
use Microsoft Outlook because my company requires it, so I must use
Windows, so I must open my life up to vulnerabilities that are shared
because Windows is a dominant monoculture and Microsoft doesn't really
act on an aggressive basis to take responsibility for that monoculture's
inherent vulnerability - perhaps because its lawyers advise it that it
need not assume such liability).

There is no meaning to the word "attack" at the packet level,
independent of context, just as there is no difference between an
Israeli killing with a gun and a Hezbollah member killing with a gun
independent of context.

The same applies to network elements carrying packets.   Lacking a view
of the context, one cannot consider the network elements (or collections
of them) to be facilitating or harming the parties to communications.

It's all in the context.   Netheads seem to think packets are
self-evident in their meaning, in isolation.   That's only because
netheads are willing to assert that they know the context.  It's the old
idea of a "security kernel" - the error of synecdoche (metaphorically
confusing the property of a part with properties of the whole).