[e2e] About the primitives and their value

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Aug 10 13:19:59 PDT 2006

Pekka Nikander wrote:
>>> So, at least from my point of view, the really hard problem is to device
>>> the new "routing" infrastructure protocols in such a way that the ISPs
>>> benefit from collaboratively knowing which traffic is wanted (by
>>> someone) and which is not.
>>
>> I don't think this CAN be solved by secure or protected routing. Near as
>> I can tell, protected routing presumes highly constrained topologies
>> which aren't feasible in practice. As someone recently told me, there
>> are too many cases where "doing the right thing" is indistinguishable
>> from a "routing protocol attack".
>
> As long as we try to remain within the current send-receive paradigm,
> I'm afraid you are right.  However, if we consider other fundamental
> paradigms, I wouldn't be that sure.

If we saw a paradigm that didn't relocate the problem (e.g., as
publish/subscribe does), sure. I haven't seen one yet. From an
information theoretic view, I'm not sure it's possible, either, but I'd
be glad to see suggestions.

Joe