[e2e] About the primitives and their value

Pekka Nikander pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com
Mon Aug 14 12:21:05 PDT 2006

Joe,

> If we saw a paradigm that didn't relocate the problem (e.g., as
> publish/subscribe does), sure. I haven't seen one yet. From an
> information theoretic view, I'm not sure it's possible, either, but
> I'd
> be glad to see suggestions.

I'm afraid you may be underestimating the value relocating a problem
might have.

Having a tussle locally, where there may be some jurisdiction that
applies to both parties, may be easier to solve than having a tussle
that must be fought over the network, with many interest holders and
jurisdictions over the way.

Hence, while sub/pub or pub/sub may "just" relocate "the problem"
compared to send/receive, that relocation may have real life effects
on the scale of macro-economic problems (spam) caused by "the
problem" (the cost of sending being lower than the cost of receiving).

In other words, IMHO, it is important for us to understand that macro
behaviour results as an emergent property from individual micro-
behaviours and strategies, which in turn are affected by the local
tussle grounds created by the limitations posed by the technical
system AND the local jurisdictions (and other factors, such as
culture in the large).  If a technical system manages to limit some
problem so that it can be localised to apply between two mutually-
strongly-identifiable parties, preferably under a single
jurisdiction, that changes the tussle grounds by creating larger
possibilities for local retaliation, acting as disincentive for
misbehaviour.  That in turn may have sizeable visible effects in the
macro behaviour, since it has the potential of changing "good
behaviour" from a bad strategy into a sustainable one.

A partial reading list for me to still wade through: Shelling,
Micromotives and Macrobehaviour; Young, Individual Strategy and
Social Behaviour; and Dörner, Logic of Failure.  Plus of course
Axelrod, which I already referred to.

--Pekka