[e2e] Port numbers, SRV records or...?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Aug 15 12:36:37 PDT 2006

John Day wrote:
>  When I look back over the last 25 years, it saddens me to see a field
> that had such vibrance in its early days fall so quickly into acting
> like stodgy old men. Maybe they just ran out of ideas. I don't really
> know.
I sympathize. However, when you think about it the old ones like you and
I are not particularly stodgy about chucking the first draft of an idea
and trying again a different way.  It's the youngsters that seem to me
to be acting stodgy here.  I suspect it's that any design that was built
before they were in high school seems to be part of the pre-ordained
natural world, rather than just a science project that turned out to be
pretty cool.

The youngsters that aren't stodgy are the ones who are hacking synthetic
biology, making organisms and so on.   It's wide open because it's never
been done before.   And I'm hoping "mobility" is wide open still, for
me, but even more so for youngsters.  There's no mobile interoperability
- and don't give me MobileIP or IMS as the answer...