[e2e] About the primitives and their value

Pekka Nikander pekka.nikander at nomadiclab.com
Tue Aug 15 21:30:33 PDT 2006

> The key is what the problem is:
> 	1- shedding unsolicited load per se
> 	2- shedding load at underpowered places
> 	3- reducing the incentive to attack

Ok, I finally got your point of view, thanks.  Sorry for my
stubbornness.

> Addressing 1 also addresses 2 and 3.

I think the relationship between 1 and 3 is much more complex,
working in both directions.

Your focus seems to be in 1, with the intention of thereby working
out 3.  My focus (at least for the purposes of this discussion) has
been in looking at the fundamental architectural primitives, with the
intention of changing the economic game that affects 3, which in turn
would reduce the need for 1.

To me, your approach seems to be very appropriate for the short-to-
medium term, solving the practical problems.  OTOH, as you stated
yourself, it has its limitations; I'm afraid that given the current
game created by the current Internet primitives, the situation is
unlikely to improve dramatically.  But we can probably live with the
resulting rat run between the bad guys and good guys, just as we have
been doing for the past 10-15 years.

My alleged approach, if doable in the first place, might help in the
longer run.  However, I can't tell whether it would work in the first
place at all; it's too early.  Hence, at the time being it seems like
a very interesting research direction, gaining some attention among
some people planning to work under the auspices of NSF FIND, GENI,
and CEC FP7.

--Pekka