[e2e] trading acks...TRACKS

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sun Dec 3 11:45:27 PST 2006

Mirco Musolesi wrote:

>>> However, packet conservation through a router is something that
>>> can be aspired to, under limited conditions - thinking about
>>> a networking analogue of Kirchoff's electrical laws through the
>>> router as a point can actually be useful, too.
>>
>> I'm not sure Kirchoff's laws are applicable here. It wouldn't make sense
>> to create/destroy electrons without a source/sink; the same is not true
>> for packets.
>
> You may think to a representation of the network with connections to the
> "ground" or a "voltage source" for each router to represent/quantify
> packets that are created/lost in it.

Right - but then Kirchoff's laws don't apply unless that connection to
ground has some impedence (otherwise the entire net is grounded). What's
the impedence of a router? :-) I.e., it's dynamic (which is OK) and
content-sensitive (which seems hard to model).

Joe
Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment