[e2e] Extracting No. of packets or bytes in a router buffer

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sat Dec 23 13:15:32 PST 2006

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bennett-ippm-ipmp
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcgregor-ipmp

> There is also a report by several people including Fred Baker and
> me, analyzing these two conflicting drafts, and proposing yet
> another variant.  I couldn't find the report quickly.  Perhaps Fred
> has a copy.....?
>
> If you want to follow this thread, be sure to engage the router
> vendors/large ISP's early and listen to them carefully, because the
> academic and industrial agendas clash very badly.   (You should
> read the report first.)
>
> Thanks,
> --MM--
> Matt Mathis      http://www.psc.edu/~mathis
> Work:412.268.3319    Home/Cell:412.654.7529

Is this what you're thinking of?

Let me reiterate your point - if you want features in routers and
switches that will help you be able to determine what is happening in
various networks along the way between here and there, you have two
avenues. One is that you can measure externally and make inferences
about the total end to end path that may not tell you much about any
specific point. The other is that you can know specifics of the path
and perhaps individual nodes on the path by asking them questions. If
you want supporting features to be available to you in the routers,
convince the ISPs that *they* want them. Reason: they will have to
turn them on, and they will have to allow you access, and it will be
their dollars that convince the vendors to build them. So think hard
about how these will help the ISPs do what they do.

Note I am not in saying this throwing cold water on it. The ISPs are
in fact looking for ways to deliver SLAs that involve multiple ISPs
on an end to end path - that's part of the ITU NGN effort. Help them
solve that problem and you might get a fair bit of interest. At the
same time, if your solution is "interesting research" but doesn't
help the ISPs solve a problem they want solved, expect results to be
spotty at best.

Begin forwarded message: